March 9, 2016
People on the hunt for a new roof have plenty of options. Some of the common types of roofing materials include wood, composite, asphalt, shingles, concrete, slate and clay tiles. There are also many things to consider when it comes to choosing a new roof. These include material weight, product cost, installation requirements and of course, you also should not forget style.
If you want to install your new roof the right way then you must be familiar with the terms being used by roofing experts. When it comes to measurement, they usually do not use the unit square feet. Instead, they use squares. One square is equal to 100 square feet in area which is equivalent to a square that measures 10 by 10 foot. The roof of a two story house typical measures 1,500 square feet or less. So in roofing terms, that is around fifteen squares.
Things to consider
The price of the materials is one of the primary concerns of those who are planning to install a new roof especially those with a tight budget. You don’t want to run out of funds in the middle of installing a new roof in your house. But you should not forget other considerations as well. If you are simply replacing the existing roof in your house, then you should consider the condition of your existing roof. Not only that, you should also check the condition of the supporting structure. Before installing a new roof, you need to check if the supporting structure also needs to be replaced or not.Another thing to consider is the shape of the roof. A roof with few or no breaks are generally easier to replace than those that are interrupted by structures such as vent pipes, chimneys, dormers, etc. The more complicated the work the more expensive the project will be.
What follows are the most common roofing materials used and their characteristics:
- Asphalt Shingle. The most commonly used roofing material because of its relatively low price. The price of asphalt shingle start at round $50 per square. It is also very easy to install. There are basically two types of asphalt shingle: the standard single-thickness variety and the thicker laminated variant.
- Metal. Metal roofs are durable but they can also be quite expensive. If you want to have a metal roof, be ready to spend around $250 per square. Steel, aluminum, copper, lead, copper-and-asphalt are all examples of metal roofs.
- Wood. For centuries, humans have been using wood as their main roofing material. There are some areas though that forbid homeowners to use wood for their roof. So better check first before you choose this material.
- Tile and Cement. You can usually see tile and cement roofing in Mission and Spanish Colonial type house. This type of roofing is very durable but also very expensive. It can also be very heavy so a sturdy support structure is required.
- Slate. If you are looking for a durable roofing material then you should go for slate. Not all slate is the same though so you need to choose wisely. Slate prices usually start at $800 per square.
Check out what Mike Holmes thinks is the Best Roofing Material.
The roof is a very important part of any house This is why you need to choose your roof wisely. While it is not advisable to spend an arm and a leg, it is also not a good idea to scrimp on your roof.
February 26, 2016
Insulation may be utilized both to stop heat loss and heat gain in the surrounding. Most electrical appliances use insulation technology like Heaters, freezers and Fridges. Insulation must be set up within the regions between heated and non heated space. That is why there are many types of insulation.
Among the primary applications of insulation is house insulation. An insulated home is more energy efficient, needs less care and is more comfortable because the temperature stays uniform over weather changes. Insulation at home aids in saving energy and reducing utility bills. Insulation at home not only aids in keeping the house heat in winter and cool in summer but it supplies a great thermal resistance and also prevents damage from leaking water. Insulation is quite helpful to maintain the temperature of the home independent from outside temperature.
Insulation at home aids in saving energy and reducing utility bills. Insulation is quite helpful to maintain the temperature of the home independent from outside temperature.
There are lots of kinds of house insulation available. All the multiple kinds of insulation have their advantages and disadvantages. They’re largely differentiated on the basis of the material used for the insulation. They may be divided into reflective, stiff board, foam, free fill, batts and blankets and blown in insulating material etc.
Foam insulation is done by pouring the liquid foam from the container. Foam insulation is a little more pricey than blanket and batt insulation. Foam insulation is suitable to set up while building the house instead of going into already built structures. It’s not normally suggested for loft insulation, because the foam insulation used to be air tight.
Spray Foam insulation is a little more pricey than Fiber glass insulation. This kind of insulation can decrease repair and utility bills as your own home is naturally warmer and free from bugs because of the insulation. Spray form insulating material continues longer than other kinds.
It isn’t that expensive but are able to offer help in cost economy and high energy.
Loft insulation is crucial in almost any house to possess comfortable room temperature. A house must have an attic with a room temperature close to the outside temperature.